Saturday 10 November 2012

Selling 3D models: my first sale

Because I'm out of work, I'm currently thinking of ways I can earn income online, but most of the options I've looked at either don't earn you that much or turn out to be a complete waste of time. Others have some potential, but a lot of effort has to go in to make it work - sell your work online.

I worked as a 3D artist in Hong Kong and I threw something together during my spare time. Something I made using nothing more than a set of software tools that either cost very little (compared to high end tools like Maya, et al.) or nothing at all. Specifically, I use Sketchup and SU Podium, the latter being a rendering engine for the former and is capable of photo realistic renderings while being very easy to learn and use.

In fact, it's so easy that I wonder why I ever had to bother using 3DS Max for work like this, but I suppose it'll come down to how versatile the tools are and while SU Podium is easy to use, it likely lacks many of the more advanced features of Max that give users better control over what they are doing.

Anyway, I spent more time refining the 3D model I made so that I could throw it up at The3DStudio.com and various other places that sell 3D models for you and give you a cut of the profit.

That was two months ago. Recently, I had an email from Creative Crash (of all places) announcing that one of my models have sold. Good news, but ultimately nothing to get that excited about since I managed to make a record breaking $31.90 by selling stuff online. In two months. And making it available on more than one website.

I think it isn't helped that the product I submitted was a 3D model of a house and architecture in general don't sell that well as 3D models. Oh, well. It's something and it's probably worth adding to it from time to time. Plus, the beauty is that I was at least able to use a free program like Sketchup to create something that I can sell online.

No comments:

Post a Comment